View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp_fanatic View Post
I can't sit still with this I have to constently "fidet" to get comfy. (I know I am not "plugged up"..... I just know, that's as far as I will go with it. It hurts to take a good deep "belly breath" and exhale.

I'm worried because it's exactly where my shunt pump is... with a margin of 3 or 4 inches. I'm pretty sure the tube ends there, but I am not sure how the catheter/pump is set up. (My neurosurgeon said he put the pump in the belly region and I am not sure where the pump is compaired to the excessive pain I feel.) Needless to say, its a bit nerving.

I just can't deal with surgery right now because in 12 days I am going to be out of town nowhere near my neurosurgeon who knows all about me because I am going to be in a wedding, but I am going to be leaving a few days prior, so I am guessing I have a good week left.)

I don't have any of the obvious signs somethng is wrong, but geeze... it is not fun, it's painful.
I had similiar pains in the lower end where I THOUGHT the shunt ended. The doctor ordered an ultrasound of my stomach and the X-ray tech decided to take an X-ray first to find out exactly where the distal end of the shunt was. I was surprised to learn that the bottom end of the shunt was not where the incision is. In my case, the shunt tube was extended all the way to just above my left hip. I still get the stomach pains from time to time, but they are now determined to be NOT from the shunt.
Get your neurosurgeon to tell you where the tube ends and failing that, get your MD to order an ultrasound on the stomach. That's how I found where mine ended. I find I often blame the shunt for pain that's not coming from there, so I suggest you ask your doctor to get to the bottom of this. It could be from the shunt, but then again, it could be something entirely differerent.
jeff179120 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote