View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Wow, I was just doing some more reading. Nickel is in so many things. I had no clue! This must be an awful allergy to have, Rhapsody.

mrsd, is the Zantac or similar something that will affect the PH of the skin. That's what I was thinking about. I've had a few of problems over the years with discoloration from jewellery (obvious to me now that it's probably the nickel) and I only noticed that when it was extra hot weather and I was perspiring. I've never had the dermatitis though. I was just putting two and two together here and wondered if it's the PH of the skin that would make that discoloration... like leech out some of the nickel and if so, would that be worth checking into for Rhapsody?

http://allergies.about.com/cs/nickel/a/aa011000a.htm

Quote:
Besides jewelry, nickel may be found in belts, clothing hooks, eyeglasses, hairpins, metal buttons, watches, and zippers.

Also consider cigarette lighters, cupboard handles, doorknobs, handbag catches, keys, key rings, kitchen utensils, lipstick holders, needles, paper clips, pins, pens, pocket knives, powder compacts, razors, scissors, silverware, thimbles, toaster, tools, and vacuum cleaners as potential sources of nickel.

Does It Contain Nickel?
There are kits available to test items for nickel content. The kit consists of two small bottles of clear fluid; one contains dimethylglyoxime and the other ammonium hydroxide. When mixed together in the presence of nickel, a pink color results. Ask your doctor or pharmacist where you can purchase one of these kits.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theresa M. Bradley (11-05-2013)