View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairemc View Post
Hi, I'm 25yr old TN sufferer. I was diagnosed in Nov 2008, although I have suffered for over 8yrs prior to diagnosis- having many root canals and teeth removed before they realised what my pain was!!! I have been put on Gabapentin 300mg three times a day and can add in tegretol 200mg 3 times a day when it gets bad. I had an MRI scan in Feb and they said I had some blood vessels quite close to my nerve, but they weren't seen to be pressing on it. I don't want to be on my meds for the rest of my life and wondered if anyone else had a similar diagnosis to mine and has had surgery. I just want to be pain free and drug free as my medicines are already losing their effectiveness to control my twinges etc. Thanks, Claire
Hi Claire,
I am 50 years old and have trigeminal neuralgia and want to help you. Please know and trust everything I tell you it is the truth. You are young and you can feel better without meds and surgery I do it everyday. It isn't easy you have to be a very strong person with strong faith and you will live every day life the best you can. There will be days you want to give up but by faith you will make it to the next. I was on meds for a short time and didn't want to live like that they make you sick and have allot of side effects. I have learned with much research that the meds do not work. (MVD) Micro Vascular Decompression I had and trust me you do not want this surgery it doesn't work and leaves you with very strong headaches from I believe the plate they use in your head. Also 5% can get a burn in your face which I have it never goes away it adds more to bare it's like a fire ball on your cheek. It is also a very high risk surgery I did it because like you I wanted to get off the meds and be normal again. I am a very strong willed person I try to walk 2 miles a day, take GOOD vitamins, try to eat healthy, do not smoke,get plenty of rest very important to help bare pain, and most important rely on God everyday for strength to be able to get up everyday and keep my mind in a positive state to endure everyday life. It is not easy there will be days you want to give up but keep praying and stay positive be strong in this area of your life! You will make it through the day it is much better than taking meds that are not good for you. It would be different if the meds were making you better but there not there is no cure at this point. I would rather live my life with my mind and body not messed up from all the meds and be a normal mother and wife to my family. This is my choice and it isn't for everyone most people take the easy way and just give into the meds then they become weak the longer they are on them and can't find strength to get off them. You have to be your own doctor somewhat and not do everything they tell you it is your life. The doctors do not really know the pain you feel only you do. Please let me know if any of this was helpful to you.
May God Bless you, Rosanne
Jesus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote