View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
Okay, this might sound really strange...But what are the chances of contracting Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (like mad cow's) from IViG treatments? Does anyone know? I'm starting IViG this next Wed., and am considering cancelling it just because the thought of contracting this disease is terrifying!

I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but the idea of having to have a blood transfusion has always freaked me out...I had plasma exchanges, but from what I understand, there is no risk of contracting any diseases through this process...

Please let me know!

Thanks

Nicky

Nicky,
I think the chance are slim to none and catching any diseases with IVIG. From all that I have read, it is safer than any blood transfusions. Hope this calms your fears.

As for IVIG treatments, I have been having them since Oct 08. I took 5 the first month and 2 treatments every 4 weeks since then. The first five were hard, as I had a reaction the next week after the treatments. The treatments absorb the fluids from you body, so being well hydrated is the key. But sometimes, in my case had to be hydraded by IV for one afternoon to get my fluids back after the 5 treatments initially. The two days of treatments every four weeks has not been bad. I have had to deal with headaches and nausea for a day or so even with the pretreatments for these before the IVIG treatments, but in the whole scheme of feeling better for at least 3 weeks, it is worth it. I can tell when I need the IVIG though, as I start to lose the strength after 3 weeks or so. Only once did the treatment last for only a few days. I guess my body just didn't feel like cooperating that month! I take Mestinon and Cellcept daily and get the treatments, as I said two days every 4 weeks. This combination has worked for me. Hope this helps.
Simon
TxSimon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (05-30-2009)