View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

My cardiologist said to me that the brain (or the heart or kidneys) don't care what causes high blood pressure. In other words, it's great to figure out the cause of high BP but the rest of the body suffers in the meantime.

Tracy, Why do you hate BP drugs? BP drugs are quite complex. Beta blockers aren't good for people with asthma. Calcium channel blockers are relatively contraindicated in MG, as are beta blockers. ACE Inhibitors can cause renal failure in those who have renal artery stenosis. Depending upon underlying conditions, they can either be really great or not. Maybe you should talk to your cardiologist about why you don't like them and look into another one.

Joanmarie and Connie, that is very sweet of you to say. And, yes, I'm very sure I'm not a doctor, nor would I ever want that responsibility. Let's leave that up to people who went through the schooling and know what they're doing!!!

Thanks Mrs. D for adding valuable info to the conversation.

Lizzie, I thought your typo was really funny. It's hard to type with MG and I think the "mistakes" are wonderful.

My BP is doing things like spiking to the 200's, so I'm having some more tests done. And I'm having what is called orthostatic hypotension AND hypertension. Yes, a tilt table test is in my future. I sure hope it isn't an autonomic problem. I'd rather have a pheochromocytoma, because they can pluck a little tumor out of the body and "fix" the high BP. I doubt it's that but who knows. It's very rare.

I'm sorry I didn't reply right away. It's been a hard topic for me to think about, being in the midst of it. I'm not the kind of person who gets scared but this has made me crazy scared.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote