View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

jsrail: I've just read your note suggesting that maybe the doctor who said I never had neuropathy was correct. I understand the fear that hope can become a belief in miracles, but really, I'm not a miracle.

I have a real sensorimotor neuropathy, with autonomic involvement. Over the past 10 years or so there were periods of great sickness and symptoms, and periods that were better. But the trajectory, putting it all together, was slow and steady improvement.

I always felt best when I was on antibiotics for my chronic sinus infections, and many of us here noted some sort of correlation between infections and neuropathy. When my sinuses were infected, my neuropathy was worse; when I was on antibiotics, I felt more well on all parameters, including neuro.

My EMG/NCS are not as good as the test results I described in the post you responded to, but still, I am much much better.

In the end, my diagnosis is still confusing, but now there is even more hope.
I have tested positive for lyme, and markers of chronic lyme are all positive.
I have been on antibiotics since February, and I can now count 3 full weeks of wellness, including improved neuro function. I have signs of autoimmune illness, but the general thinking is that there was a trigger for the autoimmunity, and it was probably the lyme bacteria.

I can expect at least 12 months of treatment, and I'm finding it easy to tolerate while seeing a doctor who is very experienced in caring for complicated patients as well as chronic lyme.

I have no idea how many of us with "idiopathic" neuropathy have lyme, but anyone who has neuropathy should be tested for it.

I did improve, and hope it continues.

Best to all..

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote