View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I would get a cat scan of the sinuses.

I just attended a conference where they demonstrated trigeminal symptoms from sphenoid sinus infections. The sphenoid sinus is next to the cavernous sinus where the nerves to the eye and face are.

This is hard to diagnose. And some doctors don't consider it.
There was even a Mystery Diagnosis program on Discovery channel about a young woman who had this. Her presentation was more of acute pain, but it did affect her eye as well.
Thanks.

I've had a CAT scan of the sinuses, they looking normal, except for a very slightly deviated septum (so slight in fact that the ENT said a deviation of that level shouldn't cause symptoms of any kind for most people). I've also had a CAT scan of the neck to look at lymph nodes in the neck (due to the lymph node scare thing mentioned in the first post that came back OK). The ENT guy also did a rhinoscopy, where they take the little thing with the light and look inside your sinuses, it showed no evidence of sinus infection. I've also had the MRI of the brain and MRA of the head/neck...but I don't know (and do not think that) anyone in any of these things I've ever bothered to scan or look at the facial/jaw/under or behind jaw area where apparently these other things that can cause trigeminal symptoms can be. It has me well and truly freaked now (as they are according to every site I found an apparently very slow growing [over years and years] but always fatal, never curable cancer, and because I've been having odd fullness sensations in the ear on that side, and pain in the bottom jaw/surrounding area on that side, although I haven't found any obvious lumps or anything) and I wish I've found out about them *before* I saw my ENT last week, so I could've begged him to do a scan of that area. Otherwise I will have to broach the topic to my neurologist when I see her a week and a half from now, but I dunno if she will listen to me or not.

Maybe I should and get back in to the ENT next week...Or maybe I should wait for the neuro appointment and try my best to convince her I feel I need another MRI that covers that area (or a CAT, but most sites I've seen seem to recommend MRI), though I expect her to balk at the idea...In the meantime I'm busy wishing I'd never, ever, ever found the site about those salivary gland tumors and the trigeminal nerve [which I found after making my initial post here last night, but before I made the second one], it seems to fit too well and I'm even more scared now....Thanks for listening to me rant.
Aliya is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote