View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

For me, I have not been able to tolerate any of the medicines for spasms (baclofen and Valium). My neuro and I decided that I would need to take a different approach and she sent me to physical therapy.

My physical therapist taught me a few stretches that have been proven to stop spasms immediately. A couple of them you can do while in bed. One is to pull your knees to your chest. This really helps with the hamstring spasms. The other helps the inner/outer thighs. Either sit or lay down, put the soles of your feet together and pull them towards your groin.

For the calf muscles she had me stand with my hands on the wall, one foot in front of the other and then stretch the calf muscle.

Also, this past weekend I must have slept in an awkward position and ended up having spasms in my shoulder/neck area. Every time I moved my head, the muscles would go in to a complete spasm. I had read on here about Salonpas and tried them. They worked! Well, I took 3 Advil and put the Salonpas pad on and was able to sleep and get the muscle relaxed.

I hope you are doing better today.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote