Thread: Biopsy results
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi Lizzie!

Hey hon! How are you today? Are you feeling better?

I am at the hosp, getting ready for my "go-go" juice!

As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Big, big hugs!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell'sMom View Post
So far this is what I've found
08/24/2000 04:05PM

Question:
What are the risks and advantages of giving a patient Plasmapheresis? The patient has been in ICU for one week, then home and back to the hospital for a week only to return to ICU. Numerous test are being run but the patient contiues to have difficulty swallowing dispite the steroids and mestinon teatments.

Answer:
Please review the general information page regarding plasma exchange. Plasma exchange is useful in improving strength quickly, often within a week. The disadvantage is the treatment response lasts only a few weeks, but that does allow time for the prednisone to work. The disadvantages of plasma exchange are that it is it not offered at many hospitals, requires intravenous catheters which offer a site for infection, removes clotting factors, and may be difficult for patients with heart and kidney problems.

Other than that, you're right, it seems to be used for a variety of Kidney diseases, but there are some that can't have it, depending upon what type of kidney disease they have. I also have Cardiac, and pulmonary disease, I'm not sure if that played into it or not. But thank you so much for bringing my attention to this, as I will be asking a lots and lots of questions.
My heart condition is very sensitive, this might be one to the reason they said no to it. I really don't know.
Am very curious though.
thank you
Love Lizzie
gonna go and see what else I can find.