View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post It is potentially great news, but . . .

Assuming, and that is still a very big if, that this approach works on humans, we are talking about Type I diabetes, not the more common Type II. Type I is a less common form of diabetes - used to be called juvenile diabetes. The main component is the complete failure of the pancreatic islet cells in producing insulin.

The treatment discussed could be a terrific boost for Type I sufferers, as the procedure may have the effect of eliminating islet cell inflammation that keeps the pancreas from producing insulin.

I read the reports about the trials with Type II diabetics and it is not at clear that this procedure will help diabetes in the same way, much less those with PN. I highly doubt much effectiveness for current DPN patients and certainly not any help for other forms of PN.

I don't want to rain on the parade, and indeed, this could turn out to be a dramatic breakthrough. But this is only the beginning of what will have to be a long journey. The procedure is not at all benign in terms of what it is doing, even though there are no reports of side effects. And I am a little concerned about the use of substance P in this way. We really know very little about this very perplexing neuropeptide.

Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what the next steps reveal.

Oh - and anyone contemplating using capsaicin, please, please do not do so until you have heard from those who have tried it - like David and myself.

rfinney
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote