View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default pharma

Hi Fiona, that's the "risk/bnefit" ratio at work. My husband has a solution for one aspect of the problem--the one in which our govt sells newly discovered and patented drugs to a pharmaceutical entity for "further development" and production. He suggests that the patent never be sold and there be a cap placed on the amount for which the pharm company could sell the drug. i think it disingenuous for the govt to maintain it is not equipped to manufacture and market drugs, that the private sector is more able to do this. The profits realized by the pharm industry (last yr, 1 drug responsible for >$28 Billion for the pharm industry )are outrageous. The pharmaceutical lobby in washington to maintain the status quo is also outrageous.
Everything is reduced to the bottom line.

I posted the listing not for its information but for the implication of the egregious amt of $$ required to obtain the information. I understand it was specifically targeted to the financial sector. I understand the takers are interested in Parkinson's disease only in terms of exploiting its financial potential. I understand someone has to purchase stock in the pharma cos so that more R and D can occur. In the venacular of my children, I think the present system sucks.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
girija (06-02-2009)