View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Exhausted, grossed out and going broke!

The last several days have been too weird for words with our doxie.

She was in pain, so we took her to the emergency vet. She had a fever. He wasn't sure what was going on. So, he put her on prednisone and antibiotics. I was to crate her....which I did.

I took her to our regular vet. She noted some tenderness in her back. (She's had previous back surgery). However, she did NOT have other symptoms. We started a prednisone taper.

Her tail started to go up. Well, guess what? I noticed a giant lump in her rear end area.

This didn't seem to be there just the other day. I do believe I would have noticed this.

About a week ago, she kinda smelled bad and was constipated...Yuck!

Anyway, her **** gland was a "problem." One was expressed, the other could not be.

So...she had surgery yesterday. When I took her home late yesterday, she looked TERRIBLE!

To make matters worse, during the surgery, her heart rate was very slow, and the doc had to give her Atripine (sp??) twice. Now, she is saying she'll need an EKG in the future. She also needed pain medication last night.

Today, she is going to the bathroom all over the place. However, she seems a little chipper.

The bill was a little on the high side. All the bills for the last week are now adding up. I wanted to take her to the holistic doc, but I think I'll have to wait now.

Wedding is in about 1 week. We are sooo tired. Dog looks ragged...I'm not much better. Yesterday, I ate 1000000 brownies. UGH! This was NOT NOT NOT a good coping plan.

Well, today is another day. My thought is perhaps the entire ordeal with my little pup was this "bottom" gland and not a back issue. She's still tapering prednisone and is on antibiotics, is crated for now and she might get pain medication tonight (if needed). We don't have many rugs in the house (mostly tile) and additonally, since her surgery, she doesn't like to rub her bottom. So, I suppose we'll have to bring her in regularly to have "it done." But how often??????????

We'll see! Thanks for all your good thoughts!!! She's such a little doll...brings much joy to me and my family.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (06-02-2009), mrsD (06-02-2009), Twinkletoes (06-02-2009)