Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Girl View Post
Sleep is definitely something we need. Along with a constant schedule. They both go hand-in-hand. If you don't follow a set schedule, you can end up in a flare up with no relief in site. I have been in a flare up for a year now and I'm still fighting with doctors over medications. By the end of April, I was taking 18 pills a day and all I felt was constantly tired. The medications I was talking kept constantly drowsy with no relief for the pain. By the beginning of May, I had run out of the majority of the medication and quit taking everything but my effexor. I still hurt, but at least I am not walking around in a daze and trying to sleep 10-14hrs. At times, I may only get 2-4 hrs of sleep, but I can function better.

The reason I am in the flare up is because I was forced to change jobs over a year ago and I started working different shifts. I am in the military and too close to retirement (less than 3 years) to quit. I bounce between 12 hr days and nights. It takes me about 2 weeks for the pain to ease up after I get back on days. When I work nights, I can't get away from the pain because I have various appointments and training during the days on my days off. I have tried explaining my situation to my supervisor, but I just get a schedule that bounces more. I have another doctor appointment at the end of June and I am hoping I can convince my doctor to put me in for a medical board to get permission to retrain into a job that is primarily a day shift.

I have given up on lifting my arms over my head. I no longer use my left arm for driving unless I am on a staight road. There are times I wake up with so much pain in my hips, I have problems moving. If anyone has any idea how to deal with shift work, I would love to hear them.
I would really consider melatonin if you are switching shift work cycles. All the new research into it is showing promise for many diseases. Type II diabetes, cluster headache, are just two that are getting attention now. Melatonin cannot be synthesized without MethylB12. So if you are low in B12 you cannot make enough melatonin. Many pilots and shift workers now use it, with success.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMajo (06-04-2009), Dew58 (06-28-2009), tamiloo (04-20-2010)