View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Marinol

Hi. Although I live in California, my p.m. doc prefers to prescribe Marinol (dronabinol), which is synthetic version of a naturally occuring form of THC: delta-9 THC to be specific. The principle difference from the grass of my youth is that it takes about 45 minutes to come on, and then lasts for a much longer period of time. I find that it's particularly effective when the spasms get out of control, 50 mg. a day of Baclofen notwithstanding. Then too I have to (but rarely do) keep myself off email when I'm on it, because I invariably make a fool of myself, usually before far too many recipients. And for just that reason can't take it as an everyday analgesic, reserving it for the worst days, and then it's "check please."

That said, I have a good friend who lives in San Francisco who is both physically incapacitated and has incredibly severe neuropathic pain throughout her body - although not RSD her pain levels can be as high as anyone I've met - and she finds that really good pot (and in S.F. the medical dispensaries get the best) works better than Dilaudid!

But for people who don't live in a region where medical marijuana is available, the take home point may be that Marinol is, at least in the U.S. and Canada.

Hope that's useful,
Mike

Last edited by fmichael; 06-02-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: adding generic name
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (06-02-2009), ALASKA MIKE (06-02-2009), Dew58 (06-02-2009)