View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Great. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
And one worth testing for beyond the standard B12 serum testing--as Rose and Mrs. D have been pointing out for years, the serum measurement is just the grossest of tests, only revealing the amount of B12 currently in the bloodstream--not in the tissues where it is most needed. The homocysteine and MMA tests are better indicators of B12 deficiency--not perfect indidctors, but better.

Two things should be mentioned, however--injections are not the only way to go, as tehre is substantial evidence that sublingual mass B12 dosing can help rebuild stores just as well, and is far cheaper. (The reason for the mass dosing, in amounts 1000mcg or higher, is to allow for the 1-2% passive absorption capable even in those with no intrinsic factor to break the vitamin out of foodstuffs.) Secondly, many of the injections out there are composed of the cyanocobalamin form of B12 (as are many commercial supplements), and while most can rebuild stores on that, some who have inherent errors pertaining to methylation biochemistry would do better on one of the other forms, such as methylcobalamin, which doesn't have to jump through as many metabolic hoops to be utilized.
The cyanacobalamin shots are extremely cheap when given by oneself with a doctor's prescription. I think my B12 is running about $6 or $7 for 30 shots from Wal*Mart. Needles are another 26 cents each.

I understand that there may be side effects from the cyano part of it, and that had me particularly worried when I had a brown spot in my field of vision which was quite large, it looked like an eigth or an inch or a quarter of an inch.

But I noticed yesterday that it was gone.

So it could be that the Milk Thistle I've begun taking has "cleansed" it out of my system.

The only problem I have with the sublinguals, from my experience, is that if you are very sick where it's hard to get up or be up for very long, then the sublinguals which are very sweet can be bad for your teeth. I think that in a small way, second to stress, they have contribued to tooth decay and dental related pain that I've been having.

I think that taking them at night is probably the worst thing I did.

But other than that, since Methylcobalamin is so readily available, I think it's a great opportunity for people.