View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Linmarie,

It's good to hear from you. I have missed your posts and wondered how you had been doing. Sorry to hear about everything that you are going through right now!

I have RSD in my left leg and both arms and my Pain Management Doctor, Physical Therapists suggested trying Botox in my left leg as I have a pretty severe case of Dystonia on top of the RSD that doesn't really respond to any treatments.

My leg has been rotated out to the side in eversion for over 2 years now and I have been having intense PT and tried lots of different medications and splinting but nothing has worked so that was why the Botox was suggested.

I had an appointment with my Neuro a few weeks ago to discuss the Botox and he said that he doesn't think it is worth taking the risk in my case. I had a nerve block when I was diagnosed with RSD and that left me in a wheelchair for 13 months and later had an ingrown toenail removed which caused really bad Myoclonic Spasms so my Neuro kinda thinks that the Botox could cause even more problems and I have been adviced to stay away from any procedures like that if at all possible.

We are still looking into the Botox but at the moment, we don't want to try it. My PT's are trying to book me in for some intense PT and then if that doesn't work, we will probably go down the Botox route.

I have spoken to a few people that have had Botox and like everything with RSD, everyone responds differently. Some people had great results from it whilst others didn't.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do and sincerely hope that it will help you! Please just weigh up the pro's and con's before deciding to go ahead with anything - no one can force you into doing anything you dont want to - YOU know your body better than anyone else!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon!

Alison