View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default That's crazy!

Hey Kristy,

What were your cousin's main areas of weakness?

I also was not eating properly prior to getting MG. I lived in an apartment infested with 'creatures' (mice, roaches, other vermon) for a year (I had a lease and tried to get out of it many times, but my application for it to be cancelled got lost in the paper shuffle). Anyway, I barely ever ate at home out of shear disgust...Anyway, I lost a lot of weight and then my health problems got much worse, mainly in the form of getting a lot of infections and now MG with a thymoma. I also smoke, which doesn't help at all, I know... I'm pretty sure that my poor diet has had a lot to do with my current health situation.

The fact that MG can occur in clusters, mainly when malnourishment is occuring on a large scale, I think shows that the immune system probably stops working properly when it's not properly nourished. I have also come across a lot of other studies that seem to imply that autoimmune diseases occur more often in people who are lower on the socio-economic scale...Nutritious food, time-consuming to prepare and oftentimes, more expensive than 'junk,' is taking a backseat to more affordable meals.

One other thing, I read that people taking statins are at a higher risk of acquiring MG. Statins can lower cholesterol to dangerous levels and also depletes the body of Coenzyme Q-10. While I've never taken statins, I do have very low cholesterol for some reason (most likely the poor diet).
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote