View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Biogirl7,
I don't do an oral taper after the IVSM. My MS Neuro says you don't need them, you've just had enough high-dose steroids. You're body will taper down itself, she said. Also she won't give me steroids again, of any kind, for at least until 6 more months have passed.

She says the bodies own cortisol will kick in, this way you won't get Cushing's Syndrome symptoms from taking steroids too long. She gives this time for the current dose a chance to work. Sometimes it works right away, other times it gradually heals you. We are all different.

It takes the inflammation away from around the lesions. This is why the MRI may not show any more enhancement. It is the fluid around the lesion that enhances, because it came to aid the lesionit (like an injured knee or ankle will swell with fluid).

Calming and eliminating the inflammation, helps the relapse to heal and go away faster. Less damage in done to the lesion.

I hope your tests go well. You shouldn't have a problem without the taper. You will sleep better and be test ready, without more steroids.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote