View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have a friend that has just been diagnosed as Diabetic 2, but this guy is skinny & active and has been all his life, which is confusing to what i thought caused adult onset diabetes, he hasn't got diabetes 1, it is definatly diabetes 2 and now suffering with neuropathy of the feet, he has no family history of diabetes on either parents sides of his family, anyone heard of this before ?

Thanks
Brian
Brian,

Ask your friend if his doctor ran a GAD test. This test detects the antibodies that are present if a person has autoimmune type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 and I felt that I didn't fit the bill for that. I was 27, I was thin and very active. I questioned the doctors because we have a strong history of type 1 in my family. The possibility that I had type 1 was brushed off. I was frustrated because I never got great results with the pills. My blood sugars were all over the place and I was very brittle. About a year into treatment for type 2, the glucophage and glyburide quit working. It was then that I was sent to an endocrinologist and he ran the GAD test. It was positive. That is when it was determined that I had developed type 1. I guess the pills worked for me as long as my pancreas was still making a little bit of insulin. As soon as it stopped making any insulin, the pills stopped working. I have been on the insulin pump for four or five years now and I love it. I am getting ready to upgrade to the Paradigm by Medtronic. I can hardly wait. It is truly like an artificial pancreas. Well, I better run. Best of luck to your friend. Let us know what he finds out...

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (06-05-2009), mrsD (06-05-2009)