View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemar View Post
I'm glad you clarified that lefthanded, as your previous post made it seem to me that you were dismissing nutritional treatment for Crohn's as "quackery"

and yes, no one treatment is going to work for every situation. people are unique and their responses to prescription meds, supplements, surgery or any other treatment are very different. That is why being able to share all experiences allows others to make their own informed choices.
In some respects Chemar, I have to be honest and say I do tend to be dismissive of most nutritional "treatments," as they lack the controlled, scientific studies to show that or how they might work. Most are supported by anecdotal evidence, which is not bad in and of itself, but there is a lot of quackery in the supplement business. But then, I don't give the big pharmaceuticals my undying loyalty and reverence either! But I applaud those who work to find their own cures or maintenance without resorting to the use of drugs . . . but one must follow a responsible path that includes the use of what medical knowledge is available to us at the time.

That said . . . I DID fire my first gastro who laughed when I asked him about pro-biotic use. And this was the same man who suggested I caused my colitis by eating a handful of walnuts!