View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
I saw my primary physician yesterday regarding my headaches and PCS symptoms. She feels I am depressed and need to see a psychiatrist. She said that psychiatrists are certified in both neuro and regular medicine. I feel that I am having problems with my head because of the injury. Will a psychiatrist be able to distinguish whether my symptoms are coming from a head injury, antidepressants I am on, or my seizure medicine. This is all new to me, but I find that I don't have very much patience and want to make sure that I am going to the right person the first time.

Thanks for any advice.

I think your question is, "between a psychiatrist or a neuropsychiatrist, which should I see? Do I have that right?
If so, definately see a neuropsychiatrist!
They specialize in tbi, and pcs.

I went to one of the best rehab hospitals in philly, (Magee), and the doctor who is the one who is the "Director" of the hospital saw me, for intake.
He directed me immediately to a neuropsych.
I got the full regimen of testing and evaluation, and was seen out patient for about a year. (Of course, I can get back into this any time I need).

I agree also with what Mark said, as that's what I did.

Neurologists, by and by, are a lot who "wanted to be doctors, but not get their hands dirty". (That's just my take).

Mine is great! He's also a Ph.d, so that tells you.
I would never waste my time with a plain neurologist again.

As I understand your question, a Neuropsych is the way to go, over and above any plain psychiatrist. But, you'll probably find the best at a Rehab hospital as Mark has said.....

Pete
Asb
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote