View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Stress and PD - Something new

I find this interesting and potentially important. I did my own study and did pretty well for a rookie IMHO.

Using PLM's member data, I put together a list of 150 "middle of the road" PWP and asked if thet would take time to answer a set of questions about stress and PD. Of those, 39 agreed. I used a set of 29 questions the core of which asked about stress during six periods of their life covering the period from conception to PD symptom appearance. They rated stress levels from 1 to 5 with 1 being defined as a "normal" stress burden.

The stress levels reported were startling. Over a lifetime, the group averaged a 3. That is, without eliminating anyone, we had triple the stress in our lives compared to normal folk. Further, the amount of stress we had endured corresponded with the sensitivity we had today and the impact on our symptoms.

The document is too big to post here, but you can read it at http://www.parkinsonsonline.org/foru...286&p=513#p513 or if you email me I will send you a copy.

The comments of the participants is particularly telling and form a mirror image to the discussions on the same subject which we held on the old BT forum. Life has put a lot of us through a meat grinder!

The bottom line is that stress response = endocrine system and research needs to take that into account.

Hm, I just realized that I can upload the charts as attachments and have done so. Now I may be able to paste text in after this. It will be long but maybe interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Stress and PD - Something new-chart_1-jpg   Stress and PD - Something new-chart_2-jpg   Stress and PD - Something new-chart_3-jpg  
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote