View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

very informative thread...

i recently had my B12 level checked after telling my new doc about my 3+ years of pain in upper back/neck and down my left arm (now it's affecting my right side. i'm a musician (guitar player) and haven't been able to play without symptoms (burning/numbness in hand usually within a few minutes) for over 3 years. needless to say, this has been devastating.

i've had numerous tests (NCV/EMG, MRI, etc.)...the MRI from 11/07 found a 3 disc bulge at C5-C6 (mild stenosis) and a 2mm bulge at C4-C5. the NCV found bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome.

my new doc doesn't think these are enough to explain my complex symptoms and decided to test my B12 level. i am at 318 (the normal range on my test is 211-911). so, yes, it looks low. my doc told me to start on 1000mcg, but after reading many things about B12, i am confused and concerned.

-seems that methylcobalamin is the preferred variant; however, i've read numerous articles about potential dangers of taking this if you have mercury amalgam (dental fillings), which i have several of...mostly from childhood. has anyone else read about or heard of this?

-cyanocobalamin appears to be much more readily available in vitamin stores. yet another wonderful thing i've been reading about is the concern over "cyanide toxicity" due to the dosage and the way cyanocobalamin metabolizes in the body. again, i'm curious to hear people's thoughts regarding this.

i'm trying to take this information with a grain of salt and truly understand (and separate) what is accurate vs. overhyped paranoia. which is why i'm here (among other places).

i am currently taking solgar B12 1000mcg sublingual (just says "cobalamin", no variant)...
MysteryWhiteBoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote