View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
However, since we own a house we did go ahead and hire a lawyer to do our wills. We had a will, living will and power of attorney drawn up. It was very reasonable cost wise. We paid $250 for both of us total and they don't expire unless we change them.

For us, we wanted to make sure no one could argue over who was in charge or what they get and if they can make decisions for us. We knew exactly who we wanted and how things were to be divided. Basically our kids get everything and no one can fight that. Our health care is to be decided by both of us if one is unable to and if we are both unable, the kids choose.

We don't have much so the lawyer said she sees no reason a probate judge would argue with our will if Jim and I go together.

This is a smart thing to do. I just updated my will, POA and living will. It cost about $300 but it was money well spent. There's no question about who will get what (my kids get everything) and also no question about my wishes should I be unable to convey them myself.

We all feel better knowing that it's taken care of and in writing.

P.S. Don't forget about your checking account(s). Make sure you have a P.O.D. form signed at your bank(s) so your kids can access your money should something happen to you.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jodylee (06-08-2009), SandyC (06-06-2009)