View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi Barbara!

Hi Barbara! Yes, the side effects stink, but you NEED them in order to keep your immune system in check - without them you can get very sick and have a crisis - something you do not want to experience.

You are not being bleak, just worried. I was very worried about taking Imuran as well, as it is a "chemo" drug, but there are side effects for everything - everything out there!

I've been on Imuran for months now and think it is finally kicking in! Granted, I have also had monthly IV IG for a while now - 5 months, I think, but I am FINALLY on the right road - the road to remission. It has not been ez. There have been times I have wanted to give up - due to the side effects, but my hubby and son need me up and around to take care of them. I NEED to be there to take care of them. They are my world.

You MAY only need to take them for a little while longer! Just think of it like that! You may go into remission very, very soon!
Don't EVER give up hope!

Some people only need Mestinon in order to function. I am not one of them, but you may be very, very soon!

Just for now keep taking them! Your dr wouldn't tell you to do so unless you needed them.

I have had every side effect from the pred - every side effect. The goal is to reduce the pred and only take Imuran/mestinon for the rest of my life. My neuro told me that I will prolly need pred for the rest of my life, but as long as I can walk, talk, breathe, etc, the side effects are WELL worth it (in my opinion).......

Hang in there! IT does get better!
Big hugs!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARA356 View Post
The drugs have so many side effects. I am on immuran and I saw that you can get growths and cancer from taking it. If you don't take the drugs do you lose your ability to walk or die from strangulation one day?Sorry so bleak but just would like to know.