View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I think I have chiari... should I see a doc?

Should I see the doctor? My aunt and uncle on my father's side of the family had severe issues due to Chiari malformation. My aunt in particular had the worst problems. Both underwent surgery. My father however has no problems and no one on my mother's side of the family has ever been diagnosed with or had issues associated with Chiari that I am aware of.

I have had neck issues most of my life, since maybe 3rd grade or so. Mainly stiffness and generally being uncomfortable. Now at 29 I am beginning to have more neck issues in addition to other problems some would call minor but I consider major impediments to quality of life. I used to think I had many symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but now with the my aunt and uncle having been diagnosed with Chiari malformations, and the recent onset of worsening neck pain, I am beginning to think that the real problem I have is in fact Chiari.

Recently I have been experiencing a very stiff neck similar to whiplash. In the past 14 days I have probably had 2 days where my neck wasn't sore to very sore. It definitely feels unstable, like any wrong move will cause neck pain. I occasionally get headaches (though not recently), but they're usually associated with soda consumption, something I try to avoid now. Occasionally when I move I feel as if there is pressure in the back of my skull, not really painful, just strangely pressured, almost like a heightened awareness of that area. Also, most recently, I have felt a warm sensation on the back of my neck when laying on my back, laying on my side relieves the sensation. Its difficult if not impossible to find a position that does not involve neck pain or discomfort of some sort.

The other symptoms I have are a general down in the dumps kind of feeling, a lack of motivation, some problems with focusing on complex tasks, insomnia, and sleepiness throughout the day.

I'm thinking I'll see the doctor regardless but wanted to see what other peoples opinions of my symptoms are. I've never had an MRI.
neuronutty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote