View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The article posted by Mimi offers further information about foods that can help to keep the inflammation at bay as well as others that stoke the fire so to speak.

Quote:
What we eat stokes or quells inflammation in our internal environments. Some foods, such as turmeric, coldwater fish, and leafy green vegetables, support tissue healing and keep inflammation in check. Others, such as hydrogenated oils and sugar, make matters worse
When my inflammatory cytokines results came in very high after my surgery on my RSD foot I knew I had to get serious about controlling my diet. I have been working towards eliminating pro-inflammatory foods. I saved this guideline to help me when I'm out grocery shopping.

Quote:
An important step in creating a healthy kitchen is to read and understand food labels. When you begin restocking your pantry, food labels are your best resource to assess what to keep and what to toss. This practice will also give you an overview of your choices in the supermarket, and is a good starting point to modify your shopping habits. Use the list below to determine which items to discard. Many of these ingredients are considered pro-inflammatory and therefore unfavorable to healthy aging. If the list of ingredients contains one or more of these undesirables, toss and don't buy again!
1. Animal fat, such as lard
2. Artificial sweeteners or non-nutritive sweeteners
3. Coconut oil
4. Corn oil
5. Cottonseed oil
6. Fractionated oil
7. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
8. Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil or vegetable shortening
9. Margarine
10. Palm or palm kernel oil
11. Blended vegetable oils
12. Safflower oil
13. Soybean oil
14. Sunflower oil
Note that high-oleic versions of sunflower or safflower oils are acceptable, as they have fatty acid profiles closer to that of olive oil.
I have not eliminated gluten but I have reduced almost all processed foods, especially those with additives. I now eat much more fresh fruit and veggies, more grains like Mimi suggested and have switched to organic meats when I want to splurge on myself.

It really does make a difference in my pain levels and my overall health is much better not to mention my weight. I eat what I want and lost 15 pounds and my husband lots his belly bulge (40 lbs for him) I was not trying to lose weight he was.

I stopped coffee long ago and rarely have any alcohol, just for a special occasion as I know both of those are triggers for my pain and inflammation.

Seriously folks we can help ourselves to some extent.

Here is a study out of Würzburg Germany showing the pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in patients with CRPS.

Quote:
Differential expression patterns of cytokines in complex regional pain syndrome.Uçeyler Nurcan; Eberle Tatiana; Rolke Roman; Birklein Frank; Sommer Claudia
Pain 2007;132(1-2):195-205

Department of Neurology, University of Würzburg, Josef-Schneider-Str. 11, D-97080 Würzburg, Germany. ueceyler_n@klinik.uni-wuerzburg.de

Complex regional pain syndromes (CRPS) are characterized by persistent and severe pain after trauma or surgery. Neuro-immune alterations are assumed to play a pathophysiological role. Here we set out to investigate whether patients with CRPS have altered systemic pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine profiles compared to controls on mRNA and protein level. We studied blood cytokine mRNA and protein levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF), interleukin-2 (IL-2) and IL-8 and the anti-inflammatory cytokines IL-4, IL-10, and transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF beta 1) in 40 prospectively recruited patients with CRPS I, two patients with CRPS II, and 34 controls. Quantitative real-time PCR and enzyme linked immunosorbent assay were used. Additionally, the patients underwent quantitative sensory testing and were assessed with the McGill pain questionnaire and the Hospital anxiety and depression scale. Patients with CRPS had higher blood TNF and IL-2 mRNA levels (p=0.005; p=0.04) and lower IL-8 mRNA levels (p<0.001) than controls. The mRNA for the anti-inflammatory cytokines IL-4 and IL-10 was reduced in the patient group (p=0.004; p=0.006), whereas TGF beta 1 mRNA levels did not differ between groups. These results were paralleled by serum protein levels, except for TGF beta 1, which was reduced in patients with CRPS, and for IL-8, which gave similar protein values in both groups. Sensory testing showed a predominant loss of small fiber-related modalities in the patient group. The shift towards a pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in patients with CRPS suggests a potential pathogenic role in the generation of pain.
MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aj822 (06-08-2009), Dew58 (06-13-2009), loretta (06-09-2009), msellie (06-08-2009)