View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Sandy -

That's was a good catch. I don't know, but suspect, that the man is thinking of "medical therapies," i.e., medicines.

Just the the RSDSA Medical Archieves webpage lists six artcles under the heading of "Mirror Therapy and Graded Motor Imagery," and they seem to hold promise when you read them. Athough does anyone know of anyone who's treating with it? Similarly the same page lists the casenote Dr. Schwatzman co-authored on the remarkable effects of electrocunvulsive therapy (for depression) on one of his patients, a former judge, who had a four year case of RSD that hadn't responded to any therapy, until she had ECT. Treatment of CRPS with ECT, Wolanin MW, Gulevski V, Schwartzman R, Pain Phys. 2007; 10:573-578, listed under "Treatments" at http://www.rsds.org/2/library/articl...ive/index.html.

Then too, perhaps he and his collegues are looking for something that they believe will have something approaching continuously reproduceable results. (In the year since my little review article on RUL ECT for CRPS came out in the Journal of Practical Pain Management, for the two people since that tried ECT for CRPS, neither had particularly good results. And I know I found out, much to my surprise and that of my doctors, as they were attempting to schedule in-patient ECT treatment for me using ketamine as the anesthetic - because it was hoped that there would be a synergistic effect in light of the marked similarities on PET scans of changes in regional cerbral blood flow between patients on ECT and ketamine - that as a matter of law-by-initiative ECT can only be given in the State of California for defined psychiatric conditions, unless done through an IRB approved study, on account of which, chronic pain of any sort doesn't cut it. Published research notwithstanding.)

Mike

Last edited by fmichael; 06-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (06-08-2009), Mslday (06-17-2009)