View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default true for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by girija View Post
Ron,
This is my guess. I think phenylalanine when accumulated or in excess in the blood is toxic to body as seen in PKU patients. I suspect drug developers didnt want to take a chance with Phe and the next step in biosynthesis seemed good enough.

to read more please go to
http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v18/n11/index.html
© 2009 International Society for Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism
This is true for me, I'm allergic to the stuff and it causes, within minutes of ingestion, blinding headache, intense nausea, and diarhea or however you spell that awful word. I have read some with more severe reactions can faint or worse. But surely there is a test that could be done, ahead of time, to weed out people like me? And I know that I am not the norm, that is, the vast majority of people do not have a problem with phenalanaline, so they should be able to easily find enough subjects to test this theory on that would not have a problem with metabolizing the phenalanaline. I guess the point is, how many PWP can there be that also cannot properly metabolize phenalanaline? I would think not so many that they could not do a study like Ron is suggesting.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote