View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Implant Overdenture Concerns.

Hi everybody,i'm so glad I found this site as there seems to be a lot of good info on here.
I am 53 years old and have decided to get a full upper implant overdenture(my bottom teeth are fine) I have had both sinus lifts along with bone grafting,extractions and temporary mini implants inserted.
One week later I went for a follow up and the surgeon could not be happier at how everything had healed so well.
However he did mention that my bone around the front is soft and porus,maybe a sign of osteopenia but not a problem.I had a bone density test done 3 years ago and it was fine so i suppose I should scheduel another one.I told him that from what I knew the treatment meds interfere with implant success but he replied only if you have been on those meds for a lot of years and in my case if I do have to use them it would probably only be for about 6 months.

My next concern is that I am an ex smoker,quit 3 years ago but still use the nicorette gum occasionaly.Could this interfere with my chances of implant success?

Finally,I do like my glass of wine,am a bit of a party girl and like to drink at the weekends,sometimes quiet a lot.Could this be another strike against me?

Other than my vices mentioned I am in excellent health,excercise daily and eat healthy.

I would love some answers before I commit myself as the full procedure will cost me almost 40,000.

Thank you,Bailey
Bailey11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote