View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Tbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisibleGirl View Post
Here's my take on it Angie,
You betcha I had a HUGE grieving period because the first head injury (I've had three in the last two years from fainting), caused me to feel like I lost 1/2 of my IQ (thankfully, that came back at about a year and I feel at about 90%.) I've always taken pride on the fact that I had a high IQ and could figure anything out, but this took it away from me (again, temporarily). My neuro also reminds me frequently that I will never be able to handle stress as well as I used to, whenever I complain about my other symptoms from the head injury which are exacerbated by stress (myoclonis, parasomnia).

So, there's a couple things going on.

I was WAY more depressed in the beginning than I am now because it was such a huge instant life change. Antidepressants didn't even begin to touch the grieving, but I'm over that now and have accepted my new normal. I believe the antidepressants along with the other drugs I take for the symptoms REALLY help me to live a normal life as possible.

I hear your anger about finding the real cause, but there's nothing they can do (besides medication) even after they find the cause in most cases.

My doc found my brain injury on the MRI and it didn't change any of the medications I was on. It just made me feel 'justified' in a way that I was not being a hypochondriac or something. Getting the proof didn't change my lifestyle, as my neurologist told me that I needed to keep working full time regardless of how it made me feel (she was right, by the way) and regardless of how stressful my job was because if I didn't maintain as much of a normal life as before, it would be very easy for my brain to stay 'stuck' where it was. She had me on provigal for a while to help me focus my brain. It gave me headaches and made me grind my teeth, so I went off it and just lived with the 'duh'.

I understand the need for a diagnosis, etc., I really do- but it doesn't really change anything. All they can do is treat the symptoms.

You asked about Alzheimer’s medications. I'm not. But I am on Parkinson’s' meds since the brain injury, as well as klonopin (both for the myoclonis) and seroquel (for the parasomnia).

I know how frustrating it is, I really do- but I'm two years out now and it's really taught me patience.
I have a very serious TBI from a bad wreck we were in. It is very frustrating. It also leaves you feeling very alone at times. I woke up in a trauma center and had to learn much over again. I have lost years of my memories and my short term memory is impared for life. I will never smell or taste again. I had to learn to even brush my hair and simple things like that again. I am still learning. I have spelling problems and writing problems. I also had several injuries to my body that are still being fixed as allowed. It is very difficult to be going along and then one day like for me you wake up and your not you anymore. Except my heart is the same but what I did is not the same. I was an interpreter for the deaf and lost 25 yrs of sign language. I had cooked all my life and was a ranchers wife and could not remember how to cook. I have speech problems and all sort of things. I understand your frustration as it is very difficult to fight to get your life back or some sort of life back. I will never be the person that was and am constantly having to adapt and make changes. Brain injury headaches are terrible and often not much will take one of mine away. I live on pain meds 24/7 now and other meds. I was told by one of my brain injury doctors that a person has to grieve the loss of the person that was. I know I did that and still do at times. I was out for 8 months when I came alert to the world and all was changed for me. It has been a long process and I was told it would be a long process. Some things will come back and some never will. It is a battle to accept when you knew you worked once,functioned highly in society once and now your ability to function is very low. It is helpful to meet others that understand what your going through and can relate. I am new here as of today but this I am not new too and can relate. I think anger at the loss is ok and needed to help move on. I still have days I get angry and our wreck was in 2007. I am sorry your going through this and hope for you it does get better. My husband suffered a severe concusion and deals with far less than me with the TBI and he has come a long way with that. I still hope for the best for me no matter what the doctors say. I have walking difficulties as well that confine me but my will to overcome is strong and that is on my side. I even had to learn the computer all over again and am still learning. Hang in there as things will get better.
Sharlynn
Sharlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vini (06-09-2009)