View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sharrlynn,

Wow, what a story. Did I understand you correctly that you were in a coma for 8 months? If so, you sound like you are doing great considering where you started.

I was at the Occupational and Speech Therapists' today for the first time since my injury in 2001. They both were adamant at telling me to stop comparing the present to the past. They say that trying to hold to the past will only hamper my future.

Hopefully, your work with the deaf has prepared you well for your own and your husband's condition. My dysfunctions have given me a new understanding and appreciation for the disabilities of others. As you saw others work past their disabilities, you learned not to let your disabilities stop you.

I have read a lot about the gains in neuro-plasticity recently. Those with one time focal injuries rather than repeated diffuse injuries have great promise to heal as the technology of retraining and rewiring the brain gets to the main stream. Your improvement so far makes you sound like a good candidate for continued healing.

As you acquire a new or improved skill or function, be grateful with all of your heart. My only improvements have been due to learning work-arounds or other accommodations.

Keep up the good and hard work. When you get tired or frustrated, remember, tomorrow, you have another chance to improve.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote