Thread: Thymoma
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Hey Nic!

First off, th GOOD news! I believe that people with thymomas are more likely to go into remission once the tumor is removed - I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but I think that the remission rate is MUCH higher - much higher than those of us who do not have them, so YAY!

I had the transsternal op - splitting of the breastbone b/c I was told that it was the better option - if there is any of the thymus there it can (in theory) grow or drop the remission rate. That is why I opted for it - even though it hurt like heck!

When do they want to do the surgery? You want to have the BEST surgeon available, b/c this is not a common surgery @ all, but once that thing is removed you will feel GREAT! You'll have to spend some time in ICU and be intubated (@ least I was) but am so glad that I had the surgery done.

Big, big hugs!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
So I saw my surgeon yesterday...He told me that my thymoma is 5cm...The size of a golfball...He said that it's not horrible but not very small either....He said that I can have the surgery where they slice down the centre of the chest or the one where they slice just underneath the breasts to get it out....

Has anyone had the slice underneath the breasts? He said that it's a bit more painful...I wasn't too concerned with the scar before as I figured I had no choices, but now I'm wondering whether maybe going with this type of incision is better (scar-wise).

Anyone have a similar 'slice'?

P.S. Sorry for the use of the word 'slice.' :S lol

Nicky
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (06-21-2009)