Thread: PLEASE help
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Are there people here who have successfully overcome depression and suicidal tendencies and are happily married? Or should I start to become comfortable that I will be alone forever?
Dear Manda,
I have been away for a bit but see you are reasonably new to the forums here.

Yes, it is possible to overcome depression and live very fulfilling lives. Sometimes certain situations we find ourselves in will make us very sad. That can be a really regular response but there are also times when depression can take over and that's when we need to take steps to overcome that. Depression also can run in families as well, although it's often not talked about enough, so we may think we're the 'only one' who knows how dreadful it feels.

I would suggest you never ever ever get comfortable with depression or feeling that you're always going to be alone.

It doesn't have to be that way. I think we all meet people in our lives that we have trusted and befriended (sometimes even married ) only to find out that our trust has been betrayed. Trusting others after being hurt can take a lot of time for some people. We can find ourselves pushing people away too both emotionally and physically but that's so that we're not hurt again. I personally don't believe that happy relationships will make us happy. I believe that we need to find security and happiness in ourselves first and then the happy relationships will fall into place.

I don't know how old you are or how long you've been feeling this way, but all is not lost. I hope you have someone there that you do trust to talk over these feelings with... like a counsellor of some type. I know this might sound a little clichéd but have you ever sat down and written a list of all your accomplishments you have made during your life, or all the qualities you have that you feel are good? They don't need to be huge things, just start with the little things.

Feel better soon, and keep talking.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (06-09-2009), Alffe (06-10-2009), barbo (06-10-2009), BlueMajo (06-10-2009), Burntmarshmallow (06-10-2009), Idealist (06-12-2009), MandaC (06-09-2009), mistiis (06-09-2009), Nik-key (06-11-2009), pono (06-13-2009)