View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book training for "attention-seeking behavior"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogodlvr View Post
I know how to train basic dog obedience. Can the dog be trained to respond to sadness and anxiety and provide nudges and licks and then be considered a service dog by responding to a need?
Hello there ..... The fact that you know how to do basic training is the best first step. While I know of no book (or instructions online), it really isn't needed, per se, because what we are talking about is the kind of reinforcement training done by movie dog trainers to have dogs do this behavior on command. Buy or make specially desirable treats. Perhaps cut up (can use kitchen shears) a pound of raw liver into small pieces, then pan fry until "dry". Put small numbers into ziplock sandwich baggies (can refrigerate another, freeze the rest). Keep this baggie next to you where you stay during the time you are during your awake times. Start by calling your dog to you, then reward him with ONE piece. Knowing that you have MORE goodies will make the dog hang around, hoping for more. Keep the baggy cradled within the curve of your arm (perhaps the one near, possibly, the edge of your pillow). With EACH "treat-seeking behavior", give another tiny piece with whatever other reward response your dog responds to best - depending on your dog, this may be verbal bragging or it may be a head rub, et al. Do NOT reward whining or other begging behavior at any time from this point on - nor give treats for any other training or "just because" during the training. NONE. When unwanted behavior is shown, do NOT make eye contact. When doing a training session, LOOK sad, SOUND sad - as mournful as you feel. CRY if you feel like it, let the sorrow out. But even during "reward time", maintain the mood. If you have ever trained the dog to NOT lick your hands or face, you will have to untrain this - and it is possible, even if you have to start by rubbing a bit of cooked liver where you want the "kisses". " Bumping for attention" training can be done by holding the treat within a loosely closed fist, then rewarding. At first, the desired behavior may (probably) need the treat reinforcement, plus the talking/rubbing/et al rewards. This is OKAY if it occurs in public. If you want, by a service/emotional support "dog in-training" tag or emblem for any cape you might want your dog to wear. They now make a variety of capes for even tiny dogs now. If your dog wears a harness rather than collar during outings, then you can clip any identifying tags to the leash ring on top. REMEMBER, IF you have a letter prescribing an emotional support animal, go to Kinko's and have them reduce the letter and laminate it so it can be carried in wallet or purse. If you request a letter prescribing an Psychiatric SERVICE dog, be certain that the psychiatrist understands the precise federal definition of a DISABILITY which can help him determine if your disorder qualifies to the level of interference with your life. (I copied out that part of the law). Sometimes someone wanders by and announces that Psych Service Dogs do not exist and are not protected by law, but remember this: Only your psychiatrist can determine whether your mental condition persistently enough qualifies you for a condition of disability (whether or not it is related to or co-existent with any "official" disability you qualify for under the law). BEWARE!! IF someone lies (pretends) that they are emotionally/mentally DISABLED under the federal definition, they can be arrested, tried in a federal court and fined up to $10,000 for breaking the law. Someone can file a complaint with federal authorities (and it could possibly happen, for sure), so I urge people to not try to pretend your "I wish I could take him/her with me" into situations limited strictly to SERVICE animals is true and protected, gawd have mercy on your savings account or income. I wish you luck.... I think you can do it if you have already managed to do good training with your present dog up to the present. OMT

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 06-09-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: putting in html coding for readability - how did I get a response form like this one?
OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (06-10-2009)