Thread: Botox
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dennis -

Funny you should mention this, I'm weighing the same option right now. As I understand it, there are two issues. First, you have be be willing to accept the muscle so injected not contracting again (for any reason) for 3 - 4 months. Secondly, there are potentially significant safety issues if the Botox migrates from the site of the injection, shutting down another part/organ of the body altogether. For the summary of the February 8, 2008, FDA "Early Communication About an Ongoing Safety Review," see:
Botox, Botox Cosmetic (Botulinum toxin Type A), Myobloc (Botulinum toxin Type B)
Audience: Cosmetic Surgeons, neurologists, other healthcare professionals, consumers

[Posted 02/08/2008] FDA issued an early communication about an ongoing safety review regarding Botox and Botox Cosmetic. FDA has received reports of systemic adverse reactions including respiratory compromise and death following the use of botulinum toxins types A and B for both FDA-approved and unapproved uses. The reactions reported are suggestive of botulism, which occurs when botulinum toxin spreads in the body beyond the site where it was injected. The most serious cases had outcomes that included hospitalization and death, and occurred mostly in children treated for cerebral palsy-associated limb spasticity. Use of botulinum toxins for treatment of limb spasticity (severe arm and leg muscle spasms) in children or adults is not an approved use in the U.S. See the FDA's "Early Communication about an Ongoing Safety Review" for Agency recommendations and additional information for healthcare professionals.

[February 08, 2008 - Early Communication about an Ongoing Safety Review - FDA] for the full text click here: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/.../ucm070366.htm
I then ran a PubMed search on "botulinum toxin CRPS" and got all of three hits, and the one most on point was not particularly encouraging:
Syndrome of fixed dystonia in adolescents - Short term outcome in 4 cases, Majumdar A, López-Casas J, Poo P, Colomer J, Galvan M, Lingappa L, Short C, Jardine PE, Fernández-Alvarez E, Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2008 Nov 6. [Epub ahead of print]

Department of Paediatric Neurology, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, Level 6UBHT Education Centre, Upper Maudlin Street, Bristol BS2 8AE, United Kingdom.

We describe the clinical features, investigations and outcome of 4 adolescents aged 13, 16, 17 and 19 years, with fixed dystonia. The diagnosis was made within 6 months of the onset of symptoms. One patient had an identifiable traumatic precipitant. All the affected extremities had pain, sudomotor and vascular changes which were consistent with complex regional pain syndrome. The extremities affected by dystonia were the foot and the hand. The dystonia spread to affect other extremities in one patient. One patient had hemifacial spasm. Examination of the central and peripheral nervous system and allied investigations failed to reveal an organic cause. Common genetic causes for dystonia were excluded. The response to physical treatments for the affected extremities, such as Botulinum Toxin and surgery was poor. In all our cases there were significant psychological and psychiatric factors. Three patients fully met the criteria for psychogenic dystonia and responded well to psychological intervention. Fixed dystonia in adolescents is an uncommon disorder of unknown aetiology, usually presenting in girls, which can be very disabling and difficult to treat. The affected parts of the body are usually painful and show vascular changes. The condition is allied to CRPS. Treatment with multidisciplinary approach including psychological measures and physiotherapy is more likely to be successful and may prevent unnecessary physical measures.

PMID: 18996036 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum.
But for the honor of it, I don't particularly feel like being a guiena pig against long odds, in particular where I'm not yet prepared to part with the use of the muscles that become spastic: my legs. That said, I join you in wanting to hear from folks who have actually had it done.

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dshue (06-10-2009)