View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello Sarah and Welcome to Neurotalk! You will meet many great people here who i'm sure will try and help you if they can!

I'm so sorry to hear that you also suffer from RSD! I really hope you are able to find something that can help you real soon and am keeping you in my thoughts!!

I suffer from RSD in my left leg and both arms. I developed it when I was 12 years old after an ankle sprain (I am now 14) and it spread to my right arm about 5 months later and to my left arm and shoulder area earlier this year after I fell on some ice. I have tried all sorts of things to try and put it into remission but nothing has really helped so far.

I really don't want to scare you but wanted to tell you of my experience with the Guanethidine Nerve Block. I am in the UK also and my Doctor at Sheffield Childrens Hospital did a Guanethidine nerve block on me when I was first diagnosed with RSD and it made me a LOT worse!

Before I had the block, I could just about manage to hobble around on crutches. After I had the block though, all of that went and I was left wheelchair bound for 13 months. Every time I tried to walk, my leg would just shoot out in front of me and I would fall to the ground.

After I had the block, my mum found an article on the internet stating that you should never inject into an RSD limb unless you absoluletely have to. By that time though, it was too late as the complications had already started happening.

Please do some research into the Guanethidine blocks and ask your doctor if he knows you shouldn't inject into an RSD limb. So many doctors don't know that and often risk making their patients worse. My doctor had never seen a reaction like mine to a block before but wont inject into an RSD limb ever again.

I really hope that the blocks go well should you decide to go ahead with them!

I haven't tried Hypnotherapy or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy before. We did mention it to my doctor but he said that it probably wouldn't work in my case. Everyone with RSD responds differently though and no two people are the same! I have heard lots of people that have had good results from it and hope you do too!

I'm glad you are in Physio. It's really important that you keep moving as much as possible even though it hurts! I go to my local childrens hospital once a week for physio and it helps a little.

Take care of yourself and if you have any questions, please let me know - i'll try and help you if I can!

Alison.
AintSoBad (06-12-2009), CRPSbe (06-11-2009), Dew58 (06-11-2009), loretta (06-13-2009), sarah m (06-11-2009)