View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

EEG Neurofeedback can be helpful. It is hard to get insurance to pay for it and at $60 to $120 per hour or session, it can get expensive. Often, it takes 15 to 20 sessions to get real lasting benefits.

It works by training your mind to focus on using a different part of the brain. In some cases, this helps the brain rewire to a better area, usually adjacent to the area that is malfunctioning. This is called neuro-plasticity. In others, it just strengthens the other parts of the brain so they work harder.

Some times, our brains get lazy due to lack of use and do not have a balance that can allow best functioning. It is like offering a task to two people. The busy and energetic one jumps at the job while the lazy one lets the energetic one take the task. Over time, the lazy one gets even lazier.

If the PCS subject has such a lazy area in his brain, the neuro-feedback can help him exercise the lazy area so it picks up more of the mental workload.

Neuro-plasticity is more like having four workers who do different tasks. Two do yard work weekly, one washes windows once a month and one sweeps the driveway every two weeks. If the yard workers get injured, the task of yard work gets directed to the window washer, especially since window washing is not a weekly need. The window washers task can be handled by the driveway sweeper on one of his weeks off and he can help with the yard work on the other week.

The free time of the other two workers got put to use to make up for the injured yard workers.

This plasticity is most notable with someone who has gone blind. The sensory neurons that used to process visual information now are divided and process sound made by his stick and touch of his fingers on the braile pages.

I use this system to listen and think. I often have to close my eyes to concentrate and think or to listen intently to someone as they speak. The brain makes this adaptation quickly, often within a few days.

In my case, both auditory and visual neurons are damaged. When I close my eyes, I have enough visual neurons available to help the auditory neurons do a more thorough job.

I hope this is making sense.

At rehab today, both therapists mentioned being confused by my difficulties because of my high level of functioning. I may be able to accomplish a vast amount of tasks, but my memory is still almost useless and I can get overwhelmed easily.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote