View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 10 Weeks Post MVD

I'm still pain-free after 10 weeks. I feel I've been blessed with a second chance at living pain-free, so I feel obligated to pass on my good fortune in the way of support through this eCommunity which has provided lots of good info and support.

I don't have MS or other ailments; just TN. I suffered with TN for about 7 years; the last 2 years were extrememly painful. It slowly shut me down due to the pain. I ramped up Tegrotol to 1600mg/day. It worked for about a year at 1000mg which was wonderful. Then my body got used to it I guess or the nerve continued to detriorate. At 1600mg I had no short term memory, super sleepy, groggy, walked around like I was on a thorizine drip. Finally had a Gamma Knife treatment on Sept. 26th of 2008. After about 30 days of the pain ramping down, I was pain free! Unfortunately it only lasted about 60 days; the pain returned worse than ever! I had the MVD surgery on April 3, 2009. I was more scared of the recovery than the surgery itself. The operation lasted about 2 hours, 12 hours in ICU followed by 2 days in regular room, then released. No jaw pain from moment I woke up. I had pain from the incision but none from jaw and still none after 10 weeks.

I recommend having an MRI done and having a neurosurgeon and only a neurosurgeon analyze it. They have the best 'eyes' for spotting issues and the experience of 'seeing' the issues firsthand. I could have saved myself years of pain if I had done this sooner. Sorry for the long post, but I hope my experiences and amazing good results from MVD help someone out there. I will gladly answer questions in here or via direct email if you prefer.

God bless you all with pain-free days ahead.

Todd
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (06-11-2009)