Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah m View Post
Thanks Alison, thanks for taking the time to respond - I'm sorry to hear your suffer with this especially as you're so young. It was really nice for you to respond so openly and to talk about your condition - it makes it a little easier for first timers like myself. You've got an amaxing attitude / outlook and I hope you do find something that will help you.

Its funny what you said about the Guanethidine blocks - I have my reservations about the blocks. I'm a nurse and work in recovery and look after patients who have had all different types of blocks and I've heard mixed responses. My worry is logically it doesn't seem like a good idea to inject into an area that is already aggravated. So I will think long and heard before I go ahead with it - thanks for the advice.

I'm on Gabapentin amongst other drugs but the side effects are awful - although for me they do seem to be working for me - I was able to get off crutches within a couple of weeks. So basically I've been looking at non invasive methods of treatment so I try to come off the drugs. ALong with CBT and hypnosis I've also been looking at HBOT treatment and may try that, theres a chamber in London and funding goes through Guys and Tommy's I've been told - but I need to check that and look into it further.

Anyway - Thanks again - and if I can be of any help please contact me although for what I'm not sure - maybe if you need an extra zoombie for a thriller video maybe

(Apologies for any spelling errors and I'm still figurnig out how to use those smiley things)
Thank you Sarah for your kind words - I really appreciate them and am glad I could help you, even if it is just in a little way!!

I would definitiely do a lot of research into the Guanethidine Block before you decide to go ahead with it! I didn't want to scare you with my previous post but wanted you to be aware of what happened to me as i'd hate for you to go through what I did!!

When I had the block, I had it the day after I was diagnosed with RSD as my doctor admitted me into hospital. We weren't really given that much info about the block - my doctor just explained what sort of drug was used and said that it could help lower my pain and I guess when someone tells you something could lower your pain, you want to get it straight away! Thinking back, we should have done a lot of research into it beforehand but as I was in the hospital, we didn't have internet access and trusted my doctor.

The Guanethidine Blocks seem to be an 'English' thing lol ! I am in the UK also and it seems as though nearly everyone in the UK with RSD has a Guanethidine Block lol !!

That is so great that you are a nurse and i'm sure it will really help you make your final decision as to whether you want to go ahead with the block! I want to do something in the health care profession when I am older, especially now that I have RSD. I want to be either a Physiotherapist or Psychologist and am going to College from September for 2 years to do a Young Apprentice Course in Health and Social Care - I really hope I can survive it as I know it's going to be a lot of hard work!!!!

Please do lots of research into the blocks and weigh up the pro's and con's! No one can force you into doing anything you dont want to do - it is your body and has to be you that makes the final decision!!!

I'm glad the Gabapentin has helped you so much but sorry you have to deal with the horrible side effects!! Has your doctor ever discussed Lyrica (Pregablin) with you? My Doctor put me on it last year and it is supposed to be very similar to Gabapentin but has fewer side effects (it's the new version). Neither the Gabapentin nor Lyrica helped me but it might be something to look into if you haven't already!

Take care of yourself and if you need anything, please know that I am here for you!!

Keep us posted as to how the block goes should you decide to go ahead with it! I hope you're having a good day!
AintSoBad (06-12-2009), loretta (06-13-2009)