View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Paula,

I havenot looked into PD clinical trials till now. I am actually pleased and shocked to see so many clinical studies are going on and if this is the case, there should have been and hopefully will be a lot of progress.

My only experience in disease related research is in HIV field and I thought the pace of research was slow and the set backs were too many. But looking back at the progress that field made in 25 years since the first case of AIDS was reported, it is remarkable. FIona is absolutely correct in using AIDS activism as an example. AIDS research and drugs came into market so quickly and so much money and effort has gone into finding a vaccine....... this tells me that science can go faster provided there is pressure to do so. I am not saying everything in AIDS field worked and there were no set backs, but to me it seems like an example of how fast science can go from bench to bedside. Whatever scientific, business and social pressures/formulas that worked for AIDS should work for PD too.

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
Thank you girija and this is where the real money is. Have you ever been to a meeting? Anyone? But people are advocating for us there. A good idea would be [iMHO] for someone to keep an eye on it. the economy? has called for PAN forums to be held every two years instead of annually. This does free up the staff to accomplish more. Katie Hood has a position in NINDS is it? NIH funding is available for business, but i can't talk details on that, not my area. lots of room for verbalizing here at NIH.

paula
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Fiona (06-11-2009), olsen (06-12-2009)