View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi melissa,
sorry to hear about that, but blimey 2-3 litres in your lungs, wow. Didnt you have any problems breathing?!

Ive got a VA shunt as of the end of march. When i had mine done, i started experiencing twinges and sometimes horrible pain in my heart, which i believe is down to the tubing as ive have NEVER experienced any chest pain at all, definitely not in my heart!
I was trying to figure out what was setting the pain off the toher day after getting a stabbing like pain slice through my heart. (I was lying on my side in my bed and turned slightly.) I was wondering if it was the position i was in that caused the pain. So i done the exact same thing again, and once again the pain happened. I guess its the tubing scraping along the inside of the wall of the heart.
My headaches seem to have got worse, well not worse...but more frequent, like ive always got one...even if it is very mild.

My neurosurgeon reassures me that a VA shunt is the best kind of shunt. But i dont wanna even start to think of what would possibly happen if it stopped absorbing or whether the fluid built up

And another thing, 3 months after i had my shunt converted to the VA, my shunt valve started buzzing, not constantly...but everytime i get up form lying down, or getting up form sitting down and looking up, when im jumping up and down, or when im walking up and down the stairs. Since its started, there hasnt been a day where it hasnt buzzed. :/ Puzzles me for sure, especially when my neurosurgeon must of thought i was bonkers when i told him my shunt keeps buzzing. So i think he still doesnt believe me as he didnt even wanna take a listen. Even my parents have heard it, so its not in my head. hehe.

sorry about the long reply, its just i dont come across many people with a VA shunt
Wish you the very best of luck!
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote