View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE03 View Post
Shelley, we always hate to welcome people to this club, but there are a lot of caring people here willing to listen and share what they can, when they can. At least you are lucky enough to know what caused your TN. In my case, I don't have any idea and neither do the doctors. Are you treating with meds and are you seeing a neurologist? EE
Thanks EE I really apprecaite your support. I am sorry that the docs dont know what caused your TN.

I am glad that I do because the antiviral meds really help even with the pain surprisingly. EE have your docs never thought maybe a virus could be causing it? Its an easy test for them to do a blood test for the IGG and IGM antibodies.

SO right now I am being treated with valtrex for the virus.

I am also using neurontin for the pain and today the pain doc asked me to try nortriptyline because I guess its a neuropathic pain of the trigeminal nerve so he considers it secondary TN.

He also aske dme to think about some nerve blocks but I am to give the meds a try first.

The hard part is that it not only affects the trigeminal nerve but also is affecting the occiptial nerves. He actually did a really good job of explaining why so it helps my mind to know what is happening when the pain is intense.

Anyway its nice to meet you and thanks again for the warm welcome.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote