View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I agree with Koala about irritants! You have to be very careful with soaps. I use baby shampoo to do the groin area now that I am older, a tiny smidge too. Lots of rinsing. If you shower and use shampoo on your head, it can sneak down there and leave a residue and burn like the devil if not rinsed off well.

Over cleaning is just as bad as undercleaning IMO, when we get old.

If you get an irritation try making a cold compress on a towel, using hydrogen peroxide and just hold it there. I find this fixes any temp problem very quickly for me. This will kill off any organisms that happen to be there during the irritating time. I discovered this on vacation where we don't have running water and hygiene can be challenging. And don't be tricked into things like Tucks or other fancy wipes...the witch hazel in them can be very irritating to some people.
If it is very hot where you are, and you perspire alot, I'd get a panty liner for those times. Sweat is not comfortable either!

The new Charmin is terrible --and leaves residue down there.
I have found that Angel Soft much better, in this regard.

Seems this problem is not discussed often by women...it is always hot flashes, etc. But the membranes down there do get very sensitive and are more easily irritated as we age.

This thread at PD discusses a neat thing you can attach to your toilet... The Biffy:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...hlight=hygiene
I am thinking about it myself. (it is like a Bidet, but less expensive).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (06-12-2009)