Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the group.

Sadly, this disease is different in everyone. It really is a "wait and see" kind of thing. Most progression happens in the first year or so; but it *can* continue to get worse after that.

You should ask your neuro to test for MUSK antibodies if you are AChr neg (if he hasn't already). Your response to medication probably nails down the diagnosis for you anyway, but it is always best to have more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suev View Post
Hi Everyone! Newbie Sue here.

I have been reading many of your posts and have learned so much from you folks willing to share. Experience is always the best teacher, but I am sorry so many of you have gained your knowledge at such great hardship.

Luckily, my neuro said on our first meeting, "I don't need tests to tell me you have MG." With that they gave me a pill and retested my strength in 20 minutes. That was when I discovered Mestinon works for me (they call it the Hercules pill in the office!). Bunches of tests were run (they wanted to rule out LEMS) and I didn't have any aCHr antibodies for MG as it turned out.

Even so, they believe it's MG. My case is very mild (especially compared to what I have been reading here) and I am responding super well to minmal doses of Mestinon 3x daily. From what I've learned here, I had a remarkably easy time getting a diagnosis!!

I have read this is a very 'individual' kind of disease - - I think someone here said it's known as the snowflake disease. I'm interested in progession mostly. Does this always, sometimes, or rarely progress with age? Is there any relationship between the way it starts and where it goes? Or is it really just a 'wait and see, everyone is different' thing. I'll ask neuro at my follow up next month - but any info would really be appreciated.

I know there are no guarantees - just looking for 'rule of thumb' info if there is any.

Thanks!! And here's wishing today is a good day for you....Sue
Brennan068 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote