View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippytoad View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I'm writing on behalf of my mother who is experiencing severe PN brought on by chemo drugs Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. She has small-cell ovarian cancer, diagnosed a few months ago.

The PN happened during the third cycle of chemo and has left her bed-bound and demotivated. She's on gabapentin and oromorph, as well as slow-acting morphine sulphate.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with such severe PN following chemo? Any successful treatments?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Hi Nick

The National Cancer Institute is currently running a trial in which Alpha Lipoic Acid is being given to prevent chemotherapy-related PN. I think platinum-containing drugs are thought to cause the PN. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00112996

There must be fairly good preliminary evidence that ALA helps for the NIC to run a big trial.

I have PN which I am pretty sure was caused by B12 deficiency. I have taken ALA (R-L type) 2 x 300 mg per day since January 2006 without any adverse effects, apart from (I think) a bit of dyspepsia on a couple of occasions. I think it helped the healing of damaged nerves in my feet and hands.

Martin
Martin_12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote