View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
If I had a choice, and wasnt 55 years old with Parkinsons..lol..The Time Bandit would be my first choice..Cornelia Marie, second choice

Ive been off shore on fishing boats, and the weather can kick up quick, but it really does take a certain amount of time for those kinds of seas to build, that is, unless it had been kind of rough to begin with, then I could see how someone could get blind sided..What I have always seen from most skippers is, they tend to concentrate of fishing first, and end up forced to make some kind of a bonehead decision in the aftermath as a result..These crab fishermen seem to have unloading schedules to contend with, and when you are number one, severely restricted by regulations, and then given unloading mandates by fish dealers, the majority of the focus tends to be on catching the crab, and some other critical issues like weather, hate to say it, but, safety, and mechanical issues become secondary at times, and these issues always seem to rear their ugly heads when the weather is really bad, especially mechanical stuff..I mean, these guys are very good at what they do..very good..but nobody is exempt from making a bad decision that could lead to disaster..The fishing industry does not resemble the past, in any way, shape or form, like it did back in the 70's and 80's when I got into the business..The fisherman is as endangered as the species he hunts today

Sounds like all the other jobs, then. Production first, then safety.

I was in manufacturing - and corporate always says *we don't want anybody getting hurt out there (on the floor).*

But when it comes to numbers vs limbs, we all know the deal.

They turn a blind eye till they have to pay a hospital bill.

Holly - dang it girl. We always have the same taste in men or what? I bet our dh's even look alike - would that be a hoot!
hollym (06-14-2009)