View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi 2snaggleteeth,

It really is hard to do homework about something you know little about.... it's like where do you begin if you don't know what to look for? Therefore, it is really up to the dentist and his staff to be your source of information without asking them to be. It is a pet peeve of mine that many people leave their dental office confused or at best, not well informed. IMO, there is no reason that should ever happen. Without question, not everyone is going to listen or completely understand what they are told, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be informed....... ok, I'm off my soapbox, sorry for the rant..

Here is cyberspace, it is hard to give you precise answers to your questions without knowing your dental background and what lead up to the removal of all of your teeth. The post operative healing process differs from one person to another when taking into consideration what their dental problems were as well as their overall health. If you would like to share that here, that's fine. If not, then I can give you a ball park of what to expect but it may not apply to your particular situation completely.

<<<how long does it usually take for the initial facial swelling to go down after full mouth extraction>>>
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Swelling occurs from trauma and inflammation. If there was infection and/or bone removal, there will be alot of inflammation. If you had Alveoloplasty, which is a recontouring of the bony ridge in preparation for a denture, the swelling can last several days. If your immune system is compromised for any reason and/or you smoke, swelling and pain can linger for several days to a few weeks.

<<<is there some certain criteria governing the number of days a dentist would prescribe something for the pain>>>
Generally percocet or vicodin are prescribed for pain for the first 3-7 days. After that, it's really best to take OTC meds like tylenol, motrin, advil or aleve. A good homeopathic remendy to use for pain is called Arnica. It is sold in health food stores in small vials. Place the recommended number of pellets under the tongue and allow them to dissolve, several times a day for several days. Do not eat or drink for at least 20 minutes after each dose. It does not interfere with any other meds and it does reduce pain and swelling.

<<<how long should it take for the socket holes to close/heal assuming no dry sockets?>>>
Assuming you don't smoke or drink alcohol, take meds or have a condition that causes a lack of saliva and are relatively healthy ....... the extraction sites (the gum tissue only) will close within 2-3 weeks. Sometimes less, sometimes more. The actual bony sockets where the teeth use to be gradually fill in with some bone over the course of a year. If bone graft material was placed in "healthy" sockets then they heal in with solid bone in about half that time.

<<<Any advice on healing these gums/sockets would also be appreciated>>>

Rinse several times a day with warm salt water for several weeks. This will speed the healing of the gum tissue and keep the sites clean.

Rinse with Xylitol in water twice a day in addition to the salt water rinses and this too will speed up the healing of the gum tissue.

Do not use peroxide to rinse with. It can burn the surgical tissue and cause excessive irritation.

Also, stay away from any dental products (mouthwashes) that contain alcohol, like Listerine. These products will cause more inflammation and can actually burn the tissue. They also cause a decrease in salivary flow which will delay the healing.

Do not use herbal based or essential oil mouthwashes until all surgical sites have healed completely. These too can cause irritation to the wounds.

By any chance are you wearing temporary or immediate dentures? Were teeth removed in both your upper and lower arches?

I hope this information is helpful, please check back with us soon.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2snaggleteeth View Post
I did'nt do my homework at all. Wish I had looked into something like this forum before I had all my teeth pulled out! Nevetheless, my questions now are: how long does it usually take for the initial facial swelling to go down after full mouth extraction, is there some certain criteria governing the number of days a dentist would prescribe something for the pain, how long should it take for the socket holes to close/heal assuming no dry sockets?
Any advice on healing these gums/sockets would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote