Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots Kat View Post
Hi Sue,
Welcome to the group - I'm glad you were able to be diagnosed quickly. Knowing what is going on is a huge part of dealing with MG. Just being aware of your body can make a huge difference. You said your neuro told you that you were very mild - that's good news, but be aware that things can progress (but don't always). Like everyone said, MG is very individualised. I was very mild when diagnosed and my neuro said I'd only need Mestinon for the rest of my life but I got worse within about a year and a half. You asked about changing meds - I hope the mestinon will be enough for you. When I went from mild to moderate MG I started taking more mestinon and then was put on steroids and immunosuppresants (150 mg of azathioprine). Things have been looking up lately and I am able to lead a virtually "normal" life. I'm still on steroids (40 mg alternate days) and seem to be stuck (i.e. I'm not able to reduce any of my meds more).

Are you still riding? I've always wanted to take it up, but I'm nervous I wouldn't be able to get on /off a horse! I'm a bit of a klutz. Good luck with everything!
~Kathy
HI Kathy!
No, I don't ride anymore. My (last) horse and I are growing old together! I have had her since she was 3 - and she just turned 27, but she has been retired for a few years. Many years ago I did a lot of competition riding (hunter/jumper) - that was a blast. Now I just feed her carrots and give her baths!!

Thanks for info - no one ever knows what future holds - but I like being aware of the possibilities (good and bad). Never did like surprises much.

Have a good day
Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote