View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

That is a very good list of advice.

The EPA and DHA she is talking about are long chain fatty acids made from flax oil in your body. Males do not convert as efficiently as females. So if you take only flax without evening primrose you will not see much of either EPA or DHA. Even with evening primrose added to the flax you can't reach 1000mg of DHA a day as Dr. Wallace recommends. So taking a fish oil type supplement may be needed. There are vegetarian types as well.

The amounts she mentions are quite high. Most fish oil capsules contain 150mg DHA alone. Since you are on a tube feeding, you would have to use a liquid form of fish oil like this:
http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Th...0-ml/2796?at=0
Make sure that you realize that some liquids are Cod liver oil, and not fish oil. You would want the fish oil (fish body oil).

Regarding the allergy to seafood. I've looked that up in the past, and found that the proteins found in seafood are not in the fish oil typically.
Also there are specific reactors...some are allergic only to shellfish like shrimp/clams etc. Others only allergic to fish meat, like cod/trout. I have an organic iodine allergy to uncooked seafood (from an IVP dye reaction). But when the seafood is cooked I get no reaction. (no clams on the half shell for ME!)
I would check and see exactly WHAT you are allergic to. And perhaps consult an allergist to be sure.

Omega-3 oils are used in chemo and breast cancer. We have a member here who reversed a breast cancer metastasis with flax oil and cottage cheese (sulfur containing protein).
here is the link to Pansy's post:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread41361.html

Dr. Wallace is a very well respected nutritionist. I think you can follow her advice safely.

There are DHA supplements made from algae. But they typically only have 100mg/capsule.
This is one that is a liquid. But it is low in EPA. It combines flax too.
http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Vegetaria...-oz/15616?at=0

Most of the vegetarian DHA supplements are low in EPA or have none.

Dr. Wallace's comments on curcumin are important. But this will be hard for you to do via tube. Curcumin is not absorbed easily from the GI tract and the newer forms with enhanced bioavailability are gelcaps with soy oil. They would be difficult to express into a tube. You'd have to work with them alot. The ones I have are not very fluid inside, they are more like a gel.
You could try mixing the cucumin powder with the fish oil liquid and hope that oil would act to facilitate the curcumin absorption.
Suffice it to say, curcumin is a hot topic topic now for Parkinson's and other brain inflammation problems.

Your Whey is doing a good job for you it appears. This is increasing the protein your body needs.

Your B12 may be normal still because you are living on the stores from your liver. Once that is gone, things may change for you. Normally in healthy people up to 5 yrs may be stored in the liver.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions. I am always here.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote